Thursday, May 28, 2009

Inspiration is a weird thing

So, I went to see the new Star Trek movie this weekend, and it was freakin' awesome! But that's not what this is about. The theatre we went to is in this tiny little town that is literally one of those blink-and-you-missed-it places. It's about 30 minutes drive from my hometown and it's by far the coolest movie theatre you could ever go to. Look here for more info

See, this place is owned by a guy who wanted to work in the movie biz, but for some reason, never got the chance, so instead, he started collecting film memorabilia and eventually, turned part of his house (I'm guessing he added parts to it) to make 6 small theatre rooms. Each one is furnished from an old movie theatre (pre-1950's I think) One of them is themed like ancient Egypt. Very cool. But before you even get to the seats, there's a maze of displays with old costumes, huge old cameras, movie posters and just a huge assortment of cool movie memorabilia.

Now, I've been to this place tons of times since it was THE place to go when I was a kid. This time though, I was suddenly like "Wow, this would make a cool basis for a story!"

It's strange how it happens. I admit I sort of drift through my days with my head in the clouds and most of the time don't pay attention to anything (Unless it's the kids poking at me because I still haven't got them a drink) so I'm probably missing a lot of good little story ideas.

The inspiration for "Something Sweet" came from driving past a rusty old maple syrup bucket hanging from a tree. My mind went...bucket...sugar shack...maple syrup...kinky!  BTW, this story is releasing June 18th from Red Rose Publishing.

Anyway, my point (I did have one!) is that sometimes even the most familiar things can spark an idea, so keep your eyes open.  Now I have to go clean up the mess that ensues every morning after making the kids bento lunches...I love the idea, but it dirties tons of dishes and takes more time than throwing a few prepackaged snacks into a bag with a sandwich.

If anyone wants to share how something inspired a particular story, I'd love to hear it.
posted by Jennie Andrus at 1:27 pm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home